I don’t know about you guys but I love to keep a roster of easy but fancy-looking desserts for when guests come over and you don’t want to spend all day in the kitchen, or can’t because your husband is cooking and descends on any free space you might make on the counter like a dog to a t-bone. This is one of those desserts. Apple, apricots, and raisins simmer together with a cinnamon stick. They are then laid out in the middle of a puff pastry, which is braided and baked to golden perfection. Easy and delicious! Bonus: makes an awesome breakfast pastry too, great for brunches with friends or family!
Seriously, tell me that doesn’t look delicious?! Golden puff-pastry = heaven!
And the filling? Tangy and sweet. A perfect balance for the buttery puff pastry.
Braided Apple Turnover (braid inspired by Apple Braid)
3 apples, peeled, cored and diced (there is no added sugar so if you prefer a sweeter taste, pick a sweet apple)
4 apricots, pitted and diced
1/3 cup raisins
1 cinnamon stick
1 sheet Frozen Puff Pastry, thawed according to package directions
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp sugar, for sprinkling
- In a medium saucepan, combine your apples, apricots, raisins and cinnamon stick. Add 1/2 cup of water and set over high heat.
- As soon as the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover.
- Cook for approximately 20 minutes. Check your filling periodically using a fork. When the fruit are fork-mashable, it’s done.
- Using a mesh colander, drain the liquid out of your filling and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, unfold your sheet of pastry and roll out the dough. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut even strips on either side of the dough leaving the center third untouched.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- Spread the filling out on the center third, and fold the dough one strip at a time alternating between each side.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the egg and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until the puff pastry is golden and puffed up.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or alternatively enjoy it plain for breakfast!